search instagram arrow-down
Chris Schriever

First came the tumor; it’s the root of the issue.

Radiating the Tumor details my experiences living with acromegaly. The journey begins where the tumor regains its strength, working to take over a second time.

Within the posts I share my attempts to find peace of mind, to heal and my hopes for remission. I detail my thoughts and feelings throughout stereotactic radiation treatments. And continue as, well, one does in life.

Originally diagnosed with acromegaly due to a hormone producing pituitary macro-adenoma in early 2014, in May of 2014 I underwent transsphenoidal surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.

I was at the beginning, and I remain today, committed to fighting for peace of mind free from the pains of acromegaly. I am determined that this rare disease will not claim me as its victim.

For more information, kindly complete the contact form below.  Wishing you and yours the very best.

Copyright © 2017 . All rights reserved.


Follow Blog via Email

Enter your email address to follow Radiating the Tumor and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 253 other subscribers

I was introduced to the End of Treatment Bell as another patient stood tall and proudly rang it clear for all to hear. I was intrigued as I had neither heard or heard of such a bell.

As I sat in the waiting, I couldn’t help but think about what a trip these last three years have been. First learning we were expecting twins and later finally uncovering the root of my physical issues. How we pushed on, starting a home renovation, planning for the birth of the twins and preparing for surgery, I am not certain.

I do know that after recovering from surgery we received a big break as my condition remained in remission for eight months. Once the blood work revealed increases in IGF-1 production, my clinical team immediately started me on a pharmaceutical regimen all in attempt to control the excessive growth hormone within my body.  Simultaneously, I started testosterone replacement treatments to offset deficiencies in this hormone as well.

My pituitary gland, while in place, was damaged from the surgery and not working as well as it did before the tumor hijacked its functionality. Even with this I still consider the surgery a success. I mean–I’m alive, right?

I had a headache as we were leaving the Weinberg Building at Johns Hopkins. I told myself it was related to the tightness of the mask.  It was too early for the radiation to really have an effect, right?

2 comments on “Day 3: The End of Treatment Bell

Leave a Reply
%d bloggers like this: