search instagram arrow-down
Chris Schriever

First came the tumor; it’s the root of the issue.

Radiating the Tumor details my experiences living with acromegaly. The journey begins where the tumor regains its strength, working to take over a second time.

Within the posts I share my attempts to find peace of mind, to heal and my hopes for remission. I detail my thoughts and feelings throughout stereotactic radiation treatments. And continue as, well, one does in life.

Originally diagnosed with acromegaly due to a hormone producing pituitary macro-adenoma in early 2014, in May of 2014 I underwent transsphenoidal surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.

I was at the beginning, and I remain today, committed to fighting for peace of mind free from the pains of acromegaly. I am determined that this rare disease will not claim me as its victim.

For more information, kindly complete the contact form below.  Wishing you and yours the very best.

Copyright © 2017 . All rights reserved.


Follow Blog via Email

Enter your email address to follow Radiating the Tumor and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 253 other subscribers

The Palmieri’s went home to Connecticut for the week, so my friend Kevin joined me today while Eddie tackled the morning routine at home with the twins.

Kevin and I arrived at Johns Hopkins around 7:30 am and I was called in back to the radiation studio just before 8 am. As my head mask was clasped into place Kevin, who accompanied me back to the studio, referred to it as my superhero mask. It felt appropriate–molded to fit perfectly, tight enough to prevent movement and confining to ensure my safety.  It wasn’t particularly painful, although it did take a bit to get used to the pressure of it.

I thought it would be warm, but isn’t overly so and, although I haven’t opened my eyes, I’m told it’s fairly easy to see through the webbing. I heard the door close, leaving me alone, sealed inside the chamber of dangerous electromagnetic waves moving subatomic high-energy particles that cause ionization.  I felt safe there hidden behind the confines of my superhero mask. My security blanket to health.

The treatment itself was uneventful and the tightness of the mask lessened as time progressed.  As the mask was unclasped from the table I felt free from restraint.  Released and ready to carry out the day working out with Coach G, taking a conference call or four and taking the kids to their swimming lessons.  It was going to be a great day.

3 comments on “Day 6: Superhero Mask

Leave a Reply
%d bloggers like this: