search instagram arrow-down
Chris Schriever

First came the tumor; it’s the root of the issue.

Radiating the Tumor details my experiences living with acromegaly. The journey begins where the tumor regains its strength, working to take over a second time.

Within the posts I share my attempts to find peace of mind, to heal and my hopes for remission. I detail my thoughts and feelings throughout stereotactic radiation treatments. And continue as, well, one does in life.

Originally diagnosed with acromegaly due to a hormone producing pituitary macro-adenoma in early 2014, in May of 2014 I underwent transsphenoidal surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.

I was at the beginning, and I remain today, committed to fighting for peace of mind free from the pains of acromegaly. I am determined that this rare disease will not claim me as its victim.

For more information, kindly complete the contact form below.  Wishing you and yours the very best.

Copyright © 2017 . All rights reserved.


Follow Blog via Email

Enter your email address to follow Radiating the Tumor and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 253 other subscribers

I woke up today feeling grateful.

Grateful that I am feeling well enough to exercise and keep my body moving. Leaving the 8:30am spin class at flywheel this morning, I was reflecting on yesterday’s treatment. Specifically, how relieved I am – not only because the treatments are going well and my body is reacting fairly well, but also on the amazing people Eddie and I have in our lives.

From my ever-present, in-laws who are always ready to help regardless of the task, to my loving and supportive partner who deals with my various mood swings from the hormonal imbalances of the the drug treatments required to keep this disease controlled, to my sisters and vast cast of friends and neighbors checking in from near and far to see not only how I am doing, but how Eddie and the twins are fairing too.

Many have asked how I’m feeling about the treatments. It’s an interesting question and the reason for this blog — to help guide and share my thoughts regarding the daily treatments and the process as a whole.

My overall approach has been similar to when I went into surgery 3 years ago, I didn’t know how I would feel, whether my facial swelling would go down and I’d look like myself. I didn’t know if the surgeons would succeed in removing the tumor or how the recovery process would impact me in the first few days, weeks, months or years. What I did know is that I had one of the best, most-skilled neurosurgeons on my team and his confidence in my situation radiated through me. His confidence instilled a whole lot of trust in my heart.

Thus far, I am please to report that my biggest challenge with the radiation treatments is letting some things go. Whether its relying on my talented team at Blue House, accepting that missing roughly three to four hours per day for travel time and treatments means that I cannot get to everything. Fortunately Eddie’s mom has taken over cooking for the twins and both she and Mr. P have jumped into our routine whenever needed.  Mr. P is even taking the twins to swimming lessons when I don’t feel up for it. The radiation treatments themselves are fine; it is the headaches that are getting in the way. Well, that and feeling tired.

I feel so very lucky for this incredible family; this amazingly supportive group of friends and an-around incredible network that strengthens my confidence, my hope and my love together keeping me strong.

Leave a Reply
%d bloggers like this: