search instagram arrow-down
Chris Schriever

First came the tumor; it’s the root of the issue.

Radiating the Tumor details my experiences living with acromegaly. The journey begins where the tumor regains its strength, working to take over a second time.

Within the posts I share my attempts to find peace of mind, to heal and my hopes for remission. I detail my thoughts and feelings throughout stereotactic radiation treatments. And continue as, well, one does in life.

Originally diagnosed with acromegaly due to a hormone producing pituitary macro-adenoma in early 2014, in May of 2014 I underwent transsphenoidal surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.

I was at the beginning, and I remain today, committed to fighting for peace of mind free from the pains of acromegaly. I am determined that this rare disease will not claim me as its victim.

For more information, kindly complete the contact form below.  Wishing you and yours the very best.

Copyright © 2017 . All rights reserved.


Follow Blog via Email

Enter your email address to follow Radiating the Tumor and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 253 other subscribers

This morning the thickness of the studio doors stood out to me as I made my way back to my assigned treatment studio.  I was assigned to the suite at the very at the end of the hall and as I rounded the corner the protective depth of the wall was as prominent as ever this morning.

Like the concrete shielded walls, each suite had an automated radiation-shielded door that closed, sealing tight with the touch of a button.  Designed to contain the radiation, Melissa, one of my therapists, shared that the amount and type of shielding is based on the specific equipment used within each studio. This explained the differences in the doors throughout the radiation oncology area.

My treatment itself was uneventful, but the weekly follow-up with Dr. Klienberg more interesting. We discussed my headaches, dry-mouth, lower energy and higher then normal blood-pressure. He said each of these symptoms was normal and should continue to be managed without medication if possible. Eddie asked about our upcoming family vacation to Denmark and whether or not he felt I’d be up for it. Dr Klienberg believes I’ll manage well, provided I rest when necessary.

Feeling slightly defeated, Eddie and I resumed listening to Mindful Discipline, which I recommend for parents, on the drive back to Washington.

2 comments on “Day 13: Follow Up

  1. Rachel Penning says:

    Chris, thank you for sharing your thoughts about this difficult journey. It is weird to say that I enjoy seeing the email pop up that there is a new entry to your blog, I look forward to reading about your day especially when we find it difficult to connect by phone. Keep pushing forward. We love you.

    1. cschriever says:

      Awe; thank you Rachel! Looking forward to seeing you in person again this summer. It’s been too long.

Leave a Reply
%d bloggers like this: