search instagram arrow-down
Chris Schriever

First came the tumor; it’s the root of the issue.

Radiating the Tumor details my experiences living with acromegaly. The journey begins where the tumor regains its strength, working to take over a second time.

Within the posts I share my attempts to find peace of mind, to heal and my hopes for remission. I detail my thoughts and feelings throughout stereotactic radiation treatments. And continue as, well, one does in life.

Originally diagnosed with acromegaly due to a hormone producing pituitary macro-adenoma in early 2014, in May of 2014 I underwent transsphenoidal surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.

I was at the beginning, and I remain today, committed to fighting for peace of mind free from the pains of acromegaly. I am determined that this rare disease will not claim me as its victim.

For more information, kindly complete the contact form below.  Wishing you and yours the very best.

Copyright © 2017 . All rights reserved.


Follow Blog via Email

Enter your email address to follow Radiating the Tumor and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 253 other subscribers

Day 17: Self Restraint

I felt rested after yesterday’s nap and a good, full night of sleep, as Kevin and I cruised along on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway catching up on the holiday weekend and our summer travel.

We caught up with my new friends and their families before I was called back my turn on the table with Synergy 1 zapping its powerful beams of radiation deep into my head. Synergy 1 was the machine assigned to dole out the fractioned doses of radiation throughout my treatment in studio one.

Contained by my superhero mask, I thought about Kevin and my last trip to Nantucket and how each of the daily trips here to Johns Hopkins were special too.

Eddie, his dad, Mike, Carl, Joe, Kevin and Richard (and numerous others who offered to also join) generously signed on to help with these, as Joe said, “ungodly hour”, treks not fully knowing what they were getting themselves into. That’s the point of all of this I realized, as trite as it is to say, — life comes fast and as much as we plan for it we never really know what’s around corner.

When I first begin to notice something was wrong I was mid-workout. I felt exhausted. Not just fatigued from a hard workout. Exhausted. Within days I noticed stiffness in my knees, aches in my lower back, pain in my shoulders, swelling in my feet and other oddities including unexplained weight-gain. I pushed on fighting off daily fatigue, intense mood swings, physical changes to my body including swelling of my face, elongating of my jaw and feet, swelling of my hands, shifting of my teeth and over 22 pounds of weight gain before finally two years later my primary care physician said he had a hunch. He sent me that day for an MRI of the Brain with and without contrast.

The recollection of all of this made left me even more tired and I looked forward to getting home for my nap.

Leave a Reply
%d bloggers like this: